Latest news for Congress 2014 organizers
- Monday, April 21: Deadline to place catering requests and audio-visual equipment and furnishing requests, through the Congress Request System.
- Early Bird registration has now passed, and we couldn’t be more thankful for all your efforts in promoting this deadline to your members. To see the list of who has registered for your association’s conference at Congress, login to the Congress Request System, and go to the block in the top-left corner titled “Reports”. There are two registration reports available to you, “Reg. attendees (contact info)” and “Reg. attendees (association fees)”. Click on these links to download an Excel file of your registration list.
- The Federation’s Communications Team is now in the process of pitching stories to the media based on the stimulating research that will be presented at Congress. We encourage your Associations to submit their conference programs in PDF format to email@example.com in an effort to help the Communications Team engage media to ensure they are aware of your research and convey your findings to their readership.
How to place your catering and equipment requests
To place a request for catering or equipment:
- Login to the Congress Request System.
- Scroll half-way down the page to the block titled “Submit a request (rooms, A/V, catering)”.
- Find the room request that you want to add a catering order to, and click the [+] button to expand your options.
- Click on the “Catering” button or the “Equipment & AV” button, as appropriate.
- Fill out the required fields and click submit.
Note: The online system uses the location information from the room request to indicate where the item is to be delivered, and so all catering and equipment requests must be attached to a room allocation.
Audiovisual Equipment: The Basic Package
While reviewing your room allocations in the Congress Request System, you should see that the “Basic presentation package (8 hours)” for $60 was added, by default, to every one of your allocations. The package includes computer, data projector, projection screen, internet access and sound system. If you do not require this, you must remove it from your allocations. To remove, simply expand the individual allocation, click the Equipment & A/V button and then select Delete in the Summary on the right side of your screen.
If your association was given the same room, for multiple sessions, on the same day, you only need to have one full-day (8 hour) basic package added to the first session of the day for that room; the basic package will be available for all sessions that follow in that room. If you have multiple room allocations on the same day, that are 4 hour blocks or less, you should change the full-day (8 hour) package to the half-day (4 hour) package to each room. For each day that you require the equipment, separate requests must be made.
If you plan on using any computer or audiovisual equipment that happens to be built in to the room (but not including existing desks, chairs, blackboard), you must still order the equipment through the Congress Request System.
For additional assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request audio-visual equipment and furnishings - April 21, 2014 - See the audio-visual equipment and furnishings menu (PDF)
- Place catering requests - April 21, 2014 - See the catering menu (PDF)
- Submit final conference program (PDF) to email@example.com - April 25, 2014
Tasks in this list are past due. If you have not completed a task, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for assistance.
- Planning Meeting - September 19, 2013 (Watch the video, or click here to view the PowerPoint slides)
- Submit Association Account form - October 11, 2013
- Submit association mailing list - October 11, 2013 - Download the template here (Excel).
- Submit Association Conference Fees form - October 18, 2013
- Submit Special Events Listing Form for events to be promoted in the online calendar of events for the launch of registration - November 15, 2013
- Recommend potential Expo exhibitors to the Federation at email@example.com - November 15, 2013
- Apply for funding from the International Keynote Speaker Support Fund - November 22, 2013
- Request meeting rooms - Extended to November 29, 2013
- Submit preliminary conference program (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org - December 11, 2013
- Apply for funding from the Aid to Interdisciplinary Sessions Fund - January 31, 2014
- Submit Hire an Association Assistant form - February 7, 2014
- Submit the Association Greeting Table form - February 7, 2014
- Submit updated conference program (PDF) to email@example.com - February 21, 2014
- Submit Complimentary Guest Registrations form - February 28, 2014
- Final day to submit Special Event Listing Form for inclusion in the Congress Guide and the online calendar of events - March 14, 2014
- Congress 2014 Planning Guide (PDF)
- Association conference fee schedule (PDF)
- List of Organizers (PDF)
- audio-visual menu (PDF)
- catering menu (PDF)
- Watch the video of the Planning Meeting, or click here to view the PowerPoint slides.
Promoting special events
Associations often hold special events they wish to be open to all attendees. Fill out the Special Event Listing Form for all events that are open to all Congress attendees and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These events will be posted in the online calendar and the Congress Guide.
Promoting your association's conference program
You are responsible for sending a PDF version of your conference program to email@example.com, which will then be posted online. Congress attendees, media representatives and scholarly publishers often search these online conference programs ahead of time in preparation for Congress. Ensuring that the Federation has the most up-to-date version of your association’s conference program can greatly enhance the experience of your attendees.
Congress 2014 theme
The Congress theme acts as a unifying concept that bridges the multiple association conference programs together. We encourage you to keep the theme “Borders without Boundaries” in mind as you plan your programming.
The President’s Receptions, hosted by Brock University, are a long-standing Congress tradition and an excellent networking opportunity. Each association is invited to one reception, to be held in the Congress Centre (Walker Complex). Expo will also remain open during the receptions, to allow guests further opportunity to browse. To determine the date for your association, please visit the conference schedule (note the “P” for President’s Receptions next to your association). You are encouraged to promote your association’s assigned date in your conference program.
Use the following logos and boilerplate statements when referring to Congress in your association's print and online material. Additional logos are available upon request.
The Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest multidisciplinary academic gathering in Canada. Organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, Congress brings together academics, researchers, policy-makers, and practitioners to share findings, refine ideas, and build partnerships that will help shape the Canada of tomorrow.
The 2014 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is an initiative of the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and is hosted by Brock University.
About the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences works to promote the value of research and learning in the humanities and social sciences. Created in 1996, its membership comprises over 80 scholarly associations, 79 institutions and six affiliate organizations, representing 85,000 researchers, educators and students across Canada.
About Brock University
With seven faculties, 18,000 full-time students, 13 Canada Research Chairs and nearly 600 professors, Brock is buzzing with activity and welcoming visitors to the St. Catharines campus every day. The university, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2014, is one of only a handful of Canadian universities located in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Congress logo - English (JPG)
- Congress logo - French (JPG)
- Congress logo 2 - English (JPG)
- Congress logo 2 - French (JPG)
- Federation logo - bilingual (JPG)
- Brock University logo (JPG)
If you have any questions please contact Donna LeLièvre for assistance.