Latest news for Congress 2014 organizers
- March 14, 2014 - Final day to submit Special Event Listing Form for inclusion in the Congress Guide and the online calendar of events. See the instructions.
- Brock University, in partnership with the Rosalind Blauer Centre for Child Care, will offer child minding services on-site at Congress 2014. More information is available here.
- The Congress theme acts as a unifying concept that bridges the multiple association conference programs together. We encourage you to keep the theme “Borders without Boundaries” in mind as you plan your programming and to use the Congress logo available at the bottom of this page in your association’s print and online material.
- Registration is open for Congress 2014. Each association is responsible to keep track of who has registered for your association’s conference. Registration reports are available for download at any time through the Congress Request System.
- Please share your Twitter handles and /or hashtags with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Room allocations have been entered! To view the spaces that have been assigned to your association, login to the Congress Request System.
- You are now able to place your catering requests! More information about the Congress catering menu is available here.
- You are now able to place requests for audio-visual equipment and extra furnishings! The available options are listed here.
How to place your requests
To place a request for catering or equipment:
- Login to the Congress Request System.
- Scroll half-way down the page to the block titled “Submit a request (rooms, A/V, catering)”.
- Find the room request that you want to add a catering order to, and click the [+] button to expand your options.
- Click on the “Catering” button or the “Equipment & AV” button, as appropriate.
- Fill out the required fields and click submit.
Note: The online system uses the location information from the room request to indicate where the item is to be delivered, and so all catering and equipment requests must be attached to a room allocation.
- Final day to submit Special Event Listing Form for inclusion in the Congress Guide and the online calendar of events - March 14, 2014
- Request audio-visual equipment and furnishings - April 11, 2014 - See the audio-visual equipment and furnishings menu (PDF)
- Place catering requests - April 11, 2014 - See the catering menu (PDF)
- Submit final conference program (PDF) to email@example.com - April 25, 2014
Tasks in this list are past due. If you have not completed a task, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for assistance.
- Planning Meeting - September 19, 2013 (Watch the video, or click here to view the PowerPoint slides)
- Submit Association Account form - October 11, 2013
- Submit association mailing list - October 11, 2013 - Download the template here (Excel).
- Submit Association Conference Fees form - October 18, 2013
- Submit Special Events Listing Form for events to be promoted in the online calendar of events for the launch of registration - November 15, 2013
- Recommend potential Expo exhibitors to the Federation at email@example.com - November 15, 2013
- Apply for funding from the International Keynote Speaker Support Fund - November 22, 2013
- Request meeting rooms - Extended to November 29, 2013
- Submit preliminary conference program (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org - December 11, 2013
- Apply for funding from the Aid to Interdisciplinary Sessions Fund - January 31, 2014
- Submit Hire an Association Assistant form - February 7, 2014
- Submit the Association Greeting Table form - February 7, 2014
- Submit updated conference program (PDF) to email@example.com - February 21, 2014
- Submit Complimentary Guest Registrations form - February 28, 2014
- Congress 2014 Planning Guide (PDF)
- Association conference fee schedule (PDF)
- List of Organizers (PDF)
- audio-visual menu (PDF)
- catering menu (PDF)
- Watch the video of the Planning Meeting, or click here to view the PowerPoint slides.
Promoting special events
Associations often hold special events they wish to be open to all attendees. Fill out the Special Event Listing Form for all events that are open to all Congress attendees and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These events will be posted in the online calendar and the Congress Guide.
- The Special Events Listing Form is available as a fillable PDF document.
- Important! Save a copy of the blank PDF to your computer. (If you have any difficultly with this step, please contact email@example.com).
- Open the saved copy of the blank PDF on your computer using Acrobat Reader. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, you can download it at www.get.adobe.com/reader.
- Ensure that the fields are highlighted. The option to “Highlight Fields” is available in the menu in Acrobat.
- Type in the information requested for each field. All information provided, except for the contact information in Section B, may be published in the online calendar or Congress Guide.
- Save a copy of the completed form for your records, and email it (along with the speaker’s photo, if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send any updates (ex: room location) to email@example.com as the information becomes available.
- Repeat steps 1 through 7 for each event that you wish to promote.
Promoting your association's conference program
You are responsible for sending a PDF version of your conference program to firstname.lastname@example.org, which will then be posted online. Congress attendees, media representatives and scholarly publishers often search these online conference programs ahead of time in preparation for Congress. Ensuring that the Federation has the most up-to-date version of your association’s conference program can greatly enhance the experience of your attendees.
Congress 2014 theme
The Congress theme acts as a unifying concept that bridges the multiple association conference programs together. We encourage you to keep the theme “Borders without Boundaries” in mind as you plan your programming.
The President’s Receptions, hosted by Brock University, are a long-standing Congress tradition and an excellent networking opportunity. Each association is invited to one reception, to be held in the Congress Centre (Walker Complex). Expo will also remain open during the receptions, to allow guests further opportunity to browse. To determine the date for your association, please visit the conference schedule (note the “P” for President’s Receptions next to your association). You are encouraged to promote your association’s assigned date in your conference program.
Use the following logos and boilerplate statements when referring to Congress in your association's print and online material. Additional logos are available upon request.
The Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest multidisciplinary academic gathering in Canada. Organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, Congress brings together academics, researchers, policy-makers, and practitioners to share findings, refine ideas, and build partnerships that will help shape the Canada of tomorrow.
The 2014 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences is an initiative of the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and is hosted by Brock University.
About the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences works to promote the value of research and learning in the humanities and social sciences. Created in 1996, its membership comprises over 80 scholarly associations, 79 institutions and six affiliate organizations, representing 85,000 researchers, educators and students across Canada.
About Brock University
With seven faculties, 18,000 full-time students, 13 Canada Research Chairs and nearly 600 professors, Brock is buzzing with activity and welcoming visitors to the St. Catharines campus every day. The university, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2014, is one of only a handful of Canadian universities located in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Congress logo - English (JPG)
- Congress logo - French (JPG)
- Congress logo 2 - English (JPG)
- Congress logo 2 - French (JPG)
- Federation logo - bilingual (JPG)
- Brock University logo (JPG)
If you have any questions please contact Donna LeLièvre for assistance.